Present continuous (I am doing)
A : Study this example situation :
Charles is in him car.
He is on him way to work.
He is driving to work.
This means : he is driving now, at the time of speaking.
The action is not finished.
Am/is/are + ing is the present continuous:
B : I am doing something = I'm in the middle of doing it; I've started doing it and I haven't finished yet :
- Please don't make so much noise. I'm trying to work.(not I try)
- 'Where's Mark?' 'He's having a shower.'(not He has a shower)
- Let's go out now. It isn't raining any more.
- Hello, Charles. Are you enjoying the party?
- What's all that noise? What's going on?
C : Some more examples:
- Olivia wants to work in Italy, so she's learning Italian.(but perhaps she isn't learning Italian at the time of speaking)
- Some friends of mine are building their own house. They hope to finish it next summer.
- Is your English getting better? (not Does your English get better)
- The population of the world is increasing very fast. (not increases)
- At first I didn't like my job, but I'm beginning to enjoy it now.(not I begin)
Complete the sentences with the following verbs in the correct form:
get happen look lose make start stay try work
- You ________ hard today. Yes, I have a lot to do.
- I ________ for Christine. Do you know where she is?
- It _________ dark. Shall I turn on the light?
- They don't have anywhere to live at the moment. They _________ with friends until they find somewhere.
- Things are not so good at work. The company __________ money.
- Have you got an umbrella? It ___________ to rain.
- You ____________ a lot of noise. Can you be quieter? I ________ to concentrate.
- Why are all these people here? What ____________________?
Put the verb into the correct form. Sometimes you need the negative (I'm not doing etc.)
- Please don't make so much noise. I ____________ (try) to work.
- Let's go out now. It ___________________ (rain) any more.
- You can turn off the radio. I ____________________ (listen) to it.
- Olivia phoned me last night. She's on holiday in France. She ________ (have) a great time and doesn't want come back.
- I want to lose weight, so this week I _________________ (eat) lunch.
- Charles has just started evening classes. He ______________ (learn) German.
- Paul and Sally had an argument. They ________________ (speak) to each other.
- I ____________________ (get) tired. I need a rest.
- Tim ______________________ (work) this week. He's on holiday.
Complete the conversations.
A: I saw David a few days ago.
B: Oh, did you? _______________________ these days? (what / he / do)
A: He's at university.
B: _________________________? (what / he / study)
B: _________________________ it? (he / enjoy)
A: Yes, he says it's a very good course.
A: Hi, Charles. How _________________________ in your new job? (you / get on)
B: Not bad. It wasn't so good at first, but ______________________ better now. (things / get)
A: What about David? Is he OK?
B: Yes, but _______________________ his work at the moment. ( he / not / enjoy )
He's been in the same job for a long time and _______________________ to get bored with it. (he/ begin)
Complete the sentences using the following verbs:
begin change get increase rise
- The population of the world ____________ very fast.
- The world __________________. Things never stay the same.
- The situation is already bad and it ________________________ worse.
- The cost of living ______________________. Every year things are more expensive.
- The weather _________________ to improve. The rain has stopped, and the wind isn't as strong.