A: Study this example situation:
Divid is a bus driver, but now hi is in bed asleep.
Hi is not driving a bus. (He is asleep.)
drives a bus. (He is a bus driver.)
Dirve(s)/work(s)/do(es) etc. is the present simple:
lookafter patients in hospitals.
- I usually
goaway at weekends.
- The earth
goesround the sun.
- The cafe
opensat 7.30 in the morning.
Remember : I work ... but He works ... They teach ... but My syster teaches ...
B : We use do/does to make questions and negative sentences:
do I/we/you/they work? does he/she/it do? I/we/you/they don't work he/she/it doesn't work
I come from Canada. Where do you come from?
I don't go away
What does this word mean? (not What means this word?)
Rice doesn't grow in cold climates.
I get up at 8 o'clock every morning.
How often do you go to the dentist?
David doesn't drink coffee very often.
David usually goes away two or three times a year.
Sometimes we do things by saying something. For example,
when you promise to do something, you can say
'I promise ...';
you can say 'I suggest ...';
I promiseI won't be late. (not I'm promising)
- 'What do you suggest I do?' 'I suggest that you'
In the same way we say :
- I apologise / I advise / I insist / I agree / I refuse
1. Complete the sentences using the following
cause(s) connect(s) drink(s) live(s) open(s) speak(s) take(s)
- Oscar __________ German very well.
- I don't often __________ coffee.
- The swimming pool ________________ at 7.30 every morning.
- Bad driving __________ many accidents.
- My parents __________ in a very small flat.
- The Olympic Games __________ place every four years.
- The Panama Canal __________ the Atlantic and Pacific oceans.
2. Put the verb into the correct form.
- Miguel __________ (not/ drink) tea very often.
- What time ____________________ (the banks / close) here?
- I've got a computer, but I _______________ (not / use)it much.
- Where ____________________ (Oscar / come) from? He's Scottish.
- What ____________________ (you / do)? Im an electrician.
- It ____________________ (take) me an hour to get to work. How long ____________________ (it / take) you?
- Look at this sentence. What ____________________ (this word / mean)?
- David isn't very fit. He ____________________ (not / do) any sport.
3. Use the following verbs to complete the sentences. Sometimes you need the negative :
believe eat flow go grow make rise tell translate
- The earth __________ round the sun.
- Rice ____________________ in Britain.
- The sun __________ in the east.
- Bees ____________________ honey.
- Vegetarians ____________________ meat.
- An atheist ____________________ in God.
- An interpreter __________ from one language into another.
- Liars are people who __________ the truth.
- The River Amazon __________ into the Atlantic Ocean.
4. You ask Olivia questions about herself and her family. Write the questions.
- You know that Olivia plays tennis. You want to know how often. Ask her.
How often __________________________________________________?
- Perhaps Olivia's sister plays tennis too. You want to know. Ask David.
____________________ your sister ______________________________?
- You know that Olivia reads a newspaper every day. You want to know which one. Ask him.
- You know that Olivia's brother works. You want to know what he does. Ask Oscar.
- You know that Olivia goes to the cinema a lot. You want to know how often. Ask her.
- You don't know where Olivia's grandparents live. You want to know. Ask Olivia.
5. Complete using the following:
I apologize I insist I promise I recommend I suggest
- It's a nice day. __________ we go out for a walk.
- I won't tell anybody what you said. ____________________.
- (in a restaurant) You must let me pay for the meal. ____________________.
- ____________________ for what I did. It won't happen again.
- The new restaurant in Hill street is very good. ____________________ it.